Thursday, February 4, 2010

Heat almost!

We applied for an emergency grant for home improvement through the Neighborhood Improvement Services (NIS) branch of the South Central Kansas Economic Development District (SCKEDD).  Now, you'd think "emergency" would mean rush or hurry or we need this right away no delay, but the thing you have to remember, is that emergency action when dealing with government agencies means four to six weeks.  This would have been no big deal had I been able to start this process in August like I intended.  But as with anything home improvement related, you should triple the amount of time you think it will take.

First of all, simply finding out who I needed to contact to apply and get the paperwork filled out took about three or four weeks.  It took a solid week to reach anyone in person in Topeka that could tell me what to do; although, evidently what I needed to do was actually to not talk to them but to instead talk to someone else.  Once I found out who this other person that I needed to talk to was, it took another week to get them on the phone, and another week thereafter for him to come out and look at the house and inspect it.  So three weeks gone by and I'd just finally gotten the paperwork I needed to fill out which then took almost another week to submit.

Doesn't this sound like fun, everybody?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are the fuel that keeps this blog going. Leave one! Heck, leave two!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...