Wednesday, March 10, 2021

VINTAGE CAMPER MAKEOVER COMPLETE TOUR!

 Hey guys, welcome to 2021. Hope it's treating you well! 



This year is off to an exciting start because after ONE WHOLE YEAR (how?) we have finally completed our vintage camper remodel. 

For a little background - we bought this camper in 2019 for $600 with the plan to maybe turn it into a photo booth, maybe just a camper? Honestly we didn't think that we would even have time to touch it in 2020 because we were so busy with our photo booth business - Lamphouse Photo Co. 

WELP. 

With all events and weddings canceled in March 2020 we started work on our 1968 Play Mor 140. 

AND!

We documented the entire process on our YouTube channel: 

Trailer Trash to Treasure 

Which, (woo-hoo) just passed 1k subscribers! 


We worked on the camper every week and finished it almost exactly a year from when we started. 

Here's the before tour: 


First the exterior. Oof.



Poor guy had been given the rattle can mossy oak treatment and it was doing his cute shape NO favors. 

Next up, the "kitchen"

BIG USE OF QUOTATION MARKS THERE ; ) 


What's there to say, it was basically gone. Disintegrated. Like the little scalloped edge on the cabinet though so style points for that I guess. 

Here's the dinette that would fold down into a bed:


The other ~bed~


Would you sleep there? 

So we got to work with the help of my dad, Dave and mom, Connie and demolished the interior first:




We then took it down to the frame, rebuilt the walls, ceiling, stripped the skin and repainted the exterior and ta-da, here's the final product: 


The kitchen after: 





I think the kitchen might be my favorite part of the camper. 

We installed a new faucet, built upper and lower cabinets, added a water pump and water system and new hardware of course. 

Next up, the front "dinette"


We ended up opting for storage and turned the dinette into a permanent couch/bed. 

We're tent campers and we usually eat outside on a picnic table so we didn't think we would spend the time to convert it back and forth every day from a dinette to a bed. 



And finally, the bedroom:


Did I say the kitchen was my favorite? Maybe this is? Idk, I love it all.


Simon is a big fan of the big, fluffy bed:



The bed converts back into a couch area during the day to add a tiny amount of floor space, access to under the bed storage, and a nice seating area for meals or relaxing.


If you want to see how we rebuilt, repainted, re-everything'd this whole camper from the very beginning please head over to our YouTube channel Trailer Trash to Treasure and click the 'Start From the Beginning Playlist' 

We have another awesome project starting in a few weeks so hit that subscribe button and follow along on our next adventure! 

Until then, 

Keep Smiling!







Hardware (pulls & knobs)





10 comments:

  1. What kind of door did you use to replace old one? I just bought an old camper and need a new door. Love your remodel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like the same door actually........looks like a very cool, vintage louvered door. Would have been tricky to replace I imagine........:)

      Delete
  2. Very nice! We have a Play Mor camper too! So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Inspired! You truly had vision to see through those mossy oaks. So well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do you tackle outside-the metal, making watertight, rust? We had one but sold it because we were not welders

    ReplyDelete
  5. By chance did you get this camper in Louisiana? Near Toledo Bend?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonjour, quel style de peinture avez vous utilisé sur l' exterieur de la caravane ? une peinture spécial fer ? vous avez utilisé une peinture spéciale avant de mettre les coueurs ( un primer) ? Elle est magnifique , Bravo ♥ Bon weekend

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vancouver Island here ! I bought a 1975 Sprite trailer last year (June 2022). Considering this is (or rather, was, sigh) rainforest, my little trailer had NO leaks, nothing infested with vermin, the original fridge still works, the two-burner stove runs like a charm, the little furnace, ditto. There is no water heater other than the stove, but that's ok. One person doesn't need a lot of water to keep clean! I am in the process of painting the interior. It has TONS of storage for a 60 square foot trailer! Even the high density foam is in great shape. I've uncovered all of it and have had the foamies out in the sun and wind for a few days, and made a huge difference in how they smell. A friend has made a set of new curtains which I am hanging on painted wooden dowels (those metal curtain rods just want to get rusty), and I am making new cushion covers, as I'm not a fan of the ugly brown plaid of the 70s. lol Having said that, the other things I'm totally impressed with is that the trailer is never musty smelling! I got really lucky when I found her (thank you to the sister of a former boyfriend, lol) and only paid $1200 Canadian. I have a property on Savary Island, and will be moving her there permanently next year (2024). I've named her Li'l Posh, partly because it suits her, and partly because my 44 year old son is appalled at the thoughts of his mother becoming "trailer trash". :-) (I love him intensely, but for a guy with a very humble upbringing he can be full of himself occasionally!) After looking at the "before" photos of your trailer, I think I found a real gem! You and yours did a spectacular job turning a sow's ear into a silk purse!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where is the bathroom? Did I miss that? I am fine with tiny as long as I can cook, sleep and have a bathroom. Great re-do by the way. I would be wearing a mask when working on it at first though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a unit, similar to this, in a bit better shape than the raw shape that this unit started out in.

    it does have a closet for a porta pot.

    I’ve had it for about 40 years in my backyard, which my kids use as a Playhouse

    I would love to resell it to someone to restore it. It is located in Central Pennsylvania, in Lebanon, PA.

    my name is Bill Thomas, my 24 hour phone number is 717-926-3122.

    I hope I haven’t broken any rules by adding my contact information. I am 78, and not very computer literate.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the fuel that keeps this blog going. Leave one! Heck, leave two!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...