Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Reclaimed Wood Shelf

Just a quick little post to say that with a little help from the mom (that was seriously one HEAVY piece of wood) we got the kitchen shelf in place.


I LOOOOOOOVE it.
We got a couple of brackets at the Home Depot and some anchors for the plaster wall behind that paneling. My little mortar and pestle was a DAV thrift store find for $3.50 (oh, who am I kidding, everything up there came from a thrift store.)


As you can see, the one coat of poly I put on it really doesn't make it that shiny at all and because it's right above the stove, hopefully the poly will make it a little easier to clean off (dream on, woman without a range hood in her kitchen, dream on).

Welp, tomorrow it's back to crossing things off that gargantuan to-do list before the show on Friday. Wish us luck!

6 comments:

  1. That is a very cool chunk of wood! Shelf. Whatever. Heh... I love that you were able to rescue it from the basement too. I have rescued some similar aged wood from my in-law's 100+ year old barn and am going to have it made into an island for our kitchen. (you know, at some point. once the floors are all sanded and poly-ed, and the walls all painted, and the lights put in, and... heh...) I'm really excited that it's not going to just moulder in a stack somewhere and will actually get to be functional again. Let us know how the one coat of poly works too, cause I'm debating how many coats to use myself...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooohhh a kitchen island would be so cool! I wished we would have had more of this wood and I'm always searching craigslist for old barn wood. Lucky! I'll let you know how it works out after I've cooked a few meals on the stove and put a nice film all over everything in the kitchen : )

      Delete
  2. Looks awesome! May I recommend Essie Magnolia as the perfect red summer polish. Nothing but compliments. Love you and I love your house!! Wish that I could be there (+Piper) to enjoy the music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sis! Love you too and wish you could be here, hanging out, letting Shorty lick the dickens out of Piper.

      Delete
  3. Just wanted to send you a "Thank You" for hosting the David Bazan Living Room show last night. You both have a wonderful home, and it was the perfect setting for an entertaining and memorable June evening.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks for coming and helping make it really great. He said that he thoroughly enjoyed the crowd and the energy.

      Delete

Comments are the fuel that keeps this blog going. Leave one! Heck, leave two!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...