Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Shiny & New

So, as part of my ongoing "Bathroom Door Saga" I needed to polish up the fixtures that we had taken off (keyhole, door knob holder thingys). Simple enough, right? Conan took them off of the door and I sat down with my Brasso and got to work. A few seconds in and it was obvious that at some point, someone had spray painted them gold and then years of grime had covered that too. They also had some paint on them that I just couldn't scrape off by hand so into the stripper they went. I soaked them for about ten minutes in a little metal container of stripper and then proceeded to use every sort of "tool" I could to get them cleaned up. Rags, toothpicks, cotton swabs, whatever. After I had gotten all of the stripper off with some mineral spirits I got back to work with the Brasso and here are the results:


Not too shabby for about an hour worth of work.


And if there's anyone out there that is scratching their head thinking, "What is Brasso?" This is it.
My secret weapon. I used this stuff on brass push button switchplates and they look like new. Worth every penny. 


Now, back to stripping that door.
And also, hooray! We got a light fixture for the bathroom ceiling! I'll put that up here as soon as I get the chance. And guess what it needs? Some stripping. I'm a glutton for punishment, huh?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are the fuel that keeps this blog going. Leave one! Heck, leave two!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...